Saturday, September 3, 2011

CROP FAILURE


Well, so much for Sustainable Living.  lol
Luckily I'm not charged with feeding the masses.

Here be the spoils of my lovingly tended heirloom seeds.
My sweetly named Prudence Purples.
Although I must say they *do* have a purplish streak to them.
And I've decided that Prudence will be a good name for my next goat. (Well, that and Annabelle.....so I'll need two more goats!  At least!)

Do goats eat tomatoes?

The Box Car Willies and the Mortgage Busters are a bit bigger, and still green.
But I did manage to rescue a fallen pirate and he is now doing a nice job of ripening in his paper bag on the window sill.  I'm not ready to look at the 8 stalks of corn.  But let's just say, the tomatoes are taller. 

I don't think I ever saw the peas.  A book told me to plant them with the corn and they would use the corn to climb on.  Yeah.  I don't know where they went.

And the blueberries?  Year two?  Greened up.  No taller.  No sign of berries.  But green is good.

But I will give kudos to the asparagus.  18 plants of a year 3 growth planted this Spring and I have a lush and lovely ferny patch that Bev says will be asparagus next year.  Maybe.  ;)

Townhouse gardening on a land full of clay is a bit of a challenge.
As is trying to do it all with just one pair of hands.
Of course, I say that every year.
I also always say I'll try harder next year.
And I will.
God willin' and the creek don't rise.


4 comments:

Gina said...

Ah, I know the feeling. Years ago I had lovely abundant crops in my garden. In more recent years, I don't think it even covered the cost of the plants. So I gave up for awhile as it was largely lack of time to maintain that was the problem. Missing fresh produce, I started growing a few tomato plants and herbs up close to the house. The deer ate them. I go to the farmer's market now. Maybe when I retire some day.....

Marigold said...

Ah, well, the goatmother can commiserate with you. Not enough heat here to get those tomatoes ripe. The pumpkins started to have pumpkins, then they turned yellow and fell off. The deer ate the lettuce and the slugs ate everything else. We have rocks and you have clay. Neither one makes a good garden. On the positive side, deer *usually* leave the herbs alone if they are the smelly resinous kind like lavender and rosemary, etc. All things considered, I think those are fantastic looking heirloom tomatoes. I have never tried eating one, myself, so I can't attest to whether or not goats eat them. And to Gina, retirement doesn't help, because the deer don't retire when you do. :)

Millie said...

Truly, farming is the most precarious of occupations. Farmers are truly gamblers. I do like your choice of goat names. :-)

brokenteepee said...

Nightshades are poisonous to goats.

Ours are still green